False Student Loan Certification Due to Identity Theft

If someone stole your identity and unlawfully took out student loans in your name, it’s possible to have them discharged.

Am I eligible?

If the person who stole your identity was convicted of the crime, you may be eligible for this. Generally, you must also file and submit a police report and various other evidence of identity theft as requested by the loan holder and/or the U.S. Department of Education.

In addition, you must be willing to assist in any proceedings related to the investigation and/or prosecution of the identity theft. This type of discharge is only available for loans received after July 1, 2006.

How much am I eligible for?

If you meet the requirements, you are eligible to have up to 100% of your student loan discharged.

Which loans qualify?

• Stafford loans
• Grad PLUS loans
• Parent PLUS loans
• Consolidation loans
• Perkins loans

How do I apply?

To discharge your loans due to identity theft, fill out an identity theft report, file a police report, and contact your loan holder.

Questions? Contact Us!

or Go Back to Student Loan Repayment Plans

You're on your way...

You are being directed to LendingTree.com where you’ll be able to fill out an online form. Based on your creditworthiness, you may be matched with up to five different personal loan lenders in our partner network.